The Red Wings secured all four points in their weekend series with the Blue Jackets, rebounding nicely after a rough week of hockey.
The Red Wings went into the first period with the same energy as yesterday’s matchup, looking to come out and punch Columbus in the mouth. In just his second game back in the lineup, Evgeny Svechnikov ripped an absolute dart to the top of the net off of a line change, getting the Wings on the board first. Despite only scoring once in the first, Detroit was by far the better team – controlling the flow of game, and limiting the Blue Jackets to only three shots on goal.
Although the Wings continued to keep up the aggressive style of play and continued to limit any real chances, the second period saw the Blue Jackets secure a tying goal with just two minutes left (The lack of an icing call seconds before the tying goal stirred up some anger among Red Wings fans on Twitter).
Detroit continued to shed their identity as a a weak third period team, as Michael Rasmussen crashed the net to score the game winner just a few minutes in. The Blue Jackets continued to struggle on offense, as the Wings mucked up nearly every every offensive possession the Jackets had. The fantastic third period play was rewarded with two empty netters (Filip Hronek, Vladislav Namestnikov), and Detroit walked away with 4 points in one of their best two game stretches of the season.
Red Wings Goals
- Calvin Pickard now has as many wins as a starter as Thomas Greiss. Do with that information what you will.
- It’s about time Rasmussen got on the stat sheet. He’s looked obviously improved in his last few weeks, and he finally cashed in on a chance today.
- Hmmm. Evgeny Svechnikov scored a goal in his second game back., and looked quite good throughout. Wonder if Jeff Blashill will healthy scratch him on Tuesdays matchup….
- Troy Stecher is still out the lineup with no explanation. He was practicing this morning, so it doesn’t seem like it’s injury related. Was Detroit’s best defender a healthy scratch?
- Bobby Ryan left the game with an upper body injury. Not great, especially considering the approaching trade deadline.