The Detroit Red Wings take on the Arizona Coyotes inside Joe Louis Arena at 7:30 pm EST.
The Detroit Red Wings now boast the highest number of 20-goal scorers after Justin Abdelkader’s overtime goal against the St. Louis Blues, which was clearly a good goal despite what people say, but offensive production had been hard to come by for Detroit in the past three games. The Red Wings will need to feed Henrik Zetterberg the puck because he has only had six shots in his past three games and getting him the puck will increase Detroit’s chances of scoring.
The Arizona Coyotes are on an eight game losing streak, sold off some their stronger players at the trade deadline, which leaves Oliver Ekman-Larsson leading the team in points with only 36 points on the season and because of the poor quality in front of Mike Smith, he is having his worst season as a starting goaltender. Despite these facts, the Detroit Red Wings seem to struggle against teams on losing streaks, which means they will have to play well and not play down to the Coyotes’ level.
- The Detroit Red Wings are 1-0-0 against the Coyotes this season.
- Stephen Weiss, Jakub Kindl, and Daniel Cleary should be healthy scratches tonight for Detroit.
- Johan Franzen has no timetable on his return to the Detroit Red Wings and his chances of returning at all continue to dim.
- Pavel Datsyuk will be out again tonight, but could return for Detroit after a few more practices.
- Riley Sheahan, Darren Helm, and Tomas Tatar have been playing well together, but have not been able to find the back of the net and without Datsyuk that is something they need to do.
- Over the past two games without Pavel Datsyuk, the Red Wings have only scored one goal per game and it is time for the rest of the team to step it up.
- Erik Cole and Marek Zidlicky continue to produce on the ice for Detroit and both could find themselves with a contract extension this summer.
- Jimmy Howard had a solid game against the Blues and Detroit will need a similar effort from him tonight, Petr Mrazek will be the back-up.
Prediction: The Detroit Red Wings are in crunch time and when playoff hockey rolls around it seems to bring out the best in them. Red Wings win 3-1.