The Detroit Red Wings take on the Boston Bruins inside TD Garden for Game Five, at 3:00 p.m. EDT on NBC and TSN.
It is do or die time for the Detroit Red Wings and they have to play like there is no tomorrow because if they lose, then the season is over. The defense needs to step up, the offense needs to score, and the centers need to win the crucial face-offs in both zones.
Claude Julien will keep the Bruins focused on Detroit and not allow anyone to look to far into the future, so the Wings cannot count of an off day for Boston. Instead the Wings will have to go after Tuukka Rask, who has been incredible, and pick up some dirty goals.
Xavier Ouellet – Brian Lashoff
- The Red Wings have a 15-22-0 overall record against the Bruins in the Playoffs and the Bruins are on the brink of knocking Detroit out and advancing to the second round.
- This is do or die for Detroit and last season the Red Wings had the Blackhawks on the bring after winning three straight and the Hawks came back to win the series, so do not count Detroit out.
- Jimmy Howard was not able to play in Game Four do to the flu and Jonas Gustavsson stepped in and played well for Detroit.
- Gustavsson will make the start again tonight and if he receives some defensive help, then anything can happen.
- Say what you want about the defense, but Brendan Smith has played incredibly well for Detroit against Boston, Kronwall on the other hand has seemed sloppy.
- Smith is pinching well, starting the rush, and is not afraid of getting physical in the defensive zone.
- Mike Babcock will look into switching up his defensive units because the pairing of Jakub Kindl and Brian Lashoff has not worked out well for Detroit.
- It seems as though Johan Franzen will be a lost cause for Detroit in the playoffs, which means Tomas Tatar, Riley Sheahan, and Gustav Nyquist need to make an impact in Game Five.
- Daniel Alfredsson could make his return to the line-up in Game Five and if he does it would be a big boost to the team.
Prediction: The Detroit Red Wings At Boston Bruins game is the biggest game of the season for Detroit; a win keeps them alive and a loss ends their season.
Tags: Detroit Red Wings