The Detroit Red Wings have their final home game against the Carolina Hurricanes tonight, at 7:30 p.m. EDT.
The Red Wings clinched a playoff berth by picking up a point in the shootout loss to Pittsburgh, but they are still battling for the first wild card spot. The Red Wings continue to receive production from the whole line-up, which will suit them well in the playoffs, but it would be nice if someone started a hot streak tonight… Johan Franzen.
The Hurricanes are 2-3-0 in their last five games and although they are out of the playoffs they are playing for their pride. Carolina is not a team to be taken lightly and have a lot of talent on their roster that the Wings will have to match-up against; they will have to find a way to get the puck past Cam Ward or Anton Khudobin, as well.
- The Red Wings have a 39-27-8 overall record against the Hurricanes and sport a solid winning percentage of only 68.9% against them in Detroit.
- Since 2010, the Red Wings are 4-1-0 against the Hurricanes and this will be the final meeting of these teams this season.
- The Red Wings have bested the Hurricanes twice this season and are looking to sweep the season series.
- Detroit has not played Carolina since November twenty-first.
- Jonas Gustavsson had a good game against the Penguins, but was injured during the game. Because of that Jared Coreau has been called up to Detroit to back-up Jimmy Howard.
- Pavel Datsyuk is not at 100% yet, but he has continues to make a difference for Detroit and as long as he is on the ice the Wings always have a chance.
- The Kid Line has been impressive for Detroit and Tomas Tatar and Gustav Nyquist deserve the accolades they are receiving, but Riley Sheahan is quietly thriving in Detroit.
- David Legwand was dropped down to the fourth line in Detroit and has provided some secondary scoring to go with the defensive mentality of the line.
- The defense has been inconsistent for Detroit, sometimes they can completely shutdown an opposing team and other times they are actively helping the opposing team. They need to become more consistent and provide help for the goaltender.
Prediction: The Detroit Red Wings vs Carolina Hurricanes game should not be a tough one for Detroit, but anything can happen. 3-1 victory for Detroit.
[UPDATE] Petr Mrazek will back-up Jimmy Howard after being called up this morning. Jared Coreau has been assigned to the Toledo Walleye.