The Detroit Red Wings are on the road against the Columbus Blue Jackets tonight, at 7:30 p.m. EDT.
The Red Wings were able to pick up five out of six points and have taken over the first Wild Card spot. Gustav Nyquist is on an amazing hot streak, which by now should just be his normal production rather than a hot streak, but the Red Wings need Johan Franzen to start scoring if they want to catch Montreal and steal the Atlantic’s third or second playoff seat.
The Blue Jackets are 2-3-0 in their last five games and are sitting in tenth place, but looking to get back into the Wild Card by any means necessary.
- The Red Wings have a 55-24-1 overall record against the Blue Jackets and sport a winning percentage of 63.8% against them in Ohio.
- Since 2010, the Red Wings are 15-10-0 against the Blue Jackets and tonight will be the last regular season game between these teams.
- The Red Wings and Blue Jacket are tied at one win a piece in the regular season series and both team have won their home games, which will make things tough on Detroit.
- Landon Ferraro was assigned to Grand Rapids after the Wings’ last game and overall he was a decent fourth line player.
- Todd Bertuzzi sat out against the Minnesota Wild due to the flu and if he still has not shaken the illness he will not be in the line-up.
- In his place, Mitch Callahan has been called up from Grand Rapids and would be the replacement if Bertuzzi cannot go.
- The young players have done well for Detroit and the expectations will be the same for Callahan.
- Jimmy Howard has been fantastic for the Red Wings and if anyone claims he is not an elite goalie still, then they have some explaining to do.
- If the Detroit Red Wings can beat the Blue Jackets, then that would put them three to four points ahead of the Jackets and keep them ahead of the Maple Leafs.
- A loss would move the Jackets into the first Wild Card spot, dropping Detroit into the second spot, and would give Toronto a chance to knock Detroit in ninth place.
Prediction: The Detroit Red Wings at Columbus Blue Jackets game is going to be tight and there are serious playoff implications for both teams. 2-1 Blue Jackets victory.
[UPDATE] Cory Emmerton has been reassigned to Grand Rapids, which means Mitch Challahan will make his NHL debut.