The Detroit Red Wings are at home against the Minnesota Wild in the second of the home-home doubleheader, tonight at 7:30 p.m. EDT.
The Red Wings picked up another big win against the Wild and are on a roll. Gustav Nyquist has five goals in his past four games and continues to be the hottest goalscorer in the NHL. While goal scoring is great, it is the defense that has been the saving grace for Detroit.
The Wild are 1-2-2 in their last five games and still sit in the first Wild Card spot by four points; they are fighting to hold onto the spot, but are not in any immediate danger of losing it.
- The Red Wings have a 31-14-3 overall record against the Wild and sport a winning percentage of 68.8% against them on Minnesota.
- Since 2010, the Red Wings are 10-6-0 against the Wild and tonight will be the second of the two back-to-back games.
- The Red Wings squeaked out a victory against the Wild yesterday and will be looking to pick up another, today.
- Darren Helm had a solid first game back as a fourth line centerman and was a boost to the Wings’ penalty kill.
- Mike Babcock expressed doubt about Darren Helm and his ability to play in tonight’s game, but Teemu Pulkkinen has been assigned to Grand Rapids.
- With Pulkkinen in Grand Rapids, it means Helm is in or another Red Wing is ready to return to the ice.
- Niklas Kronwall collided with the boards in the first period, yesterday, but returned to the ice later in the period and finished the game.
- Jakub Kindl looked solid on the power play for Detroit, picked up two assists, and seems to get along well next to Brian Lashoff.
- The controversy of the day is the terrible “incidental contact” call on Johan Franzen in the third period, which waved off the Wings’ fourth goal.
Prediction: The Detroit Red Wings vs Minnesota Wild game is going to be rough one for both teams after traveling. 3-2 Wild overtime victory.
Tags: Detroit Red Wings