The Detroit Red Wings are set to take on the Pittsburgh Penguins inside Joe Louis Arena, tonight at 7:30 p.m. EDT.
The Red Wings have been inconsistent this season and that has not changed heading into the final stretch of the season, but they need to be. The way they do that is be smart on defense; no turnovers in the defensive zone, not pinching in bad situations, and back-checking hard.
The Penguins are 3-2-0 in their past five games and they want to extend their division lead in the Metropolitan. Jeff Zatkoff and Marc-Andre Fleury have had their troubles in net and that could work in Detroit’s favor.
- The Red Wings have a 69-68-16 overall record against the Penguins and sport a great winning percentage of 69.7% against them at home in Detroit.
- Since 2010, the Red Wings are 2-4-0 against the Penguins and tonight will be the second of the three meetings against the Pittsburgh this season.
- The Red Wings lost to the Penguins four to one and will be looking to tie up the season series, tonight.
- Jonathan Ericsson is out of the line-up for the next four to six weeks due to a broken finger and ligament damage.
- Brendan Smith will be paired with Niklas Kronwall on Wing’s top defensive unit and it could work out miraculously or fail spectacularly, I am hoping for the first one.
- Adam Almqvist has been called up to the NHL in case a defenseman is not healthy enough to play for the Red Wings, but I doubt he will actually dress for the game.
- With Brendan Smith moving back to defense, Teemu Pulkkinen will be back in the line-up and possibly back on the point with his rocket of a shot.
- Landon Ferraro had a solid first game for Detroit and played well defensively, let’s hope he can keep up the good work and use his speed to Detroit’s advantage.
Prediction: The Detroit Red Wings vs Pittsburgh Penguins is a game that will unfortunately fall in the Pens favor. 3-2 Penguins victory.
Tags: Detroit Red Wings