The Detroit Red Wings take on the Ottawa Senators tonight at 7:30 p.m. EST.
The Red Wings are coming off of an overtime victory against Montreal, in a game that should have ended in overtime, and could be fatigued, but they will have to fight though it because with only 23 games left in the season every point counts.
The Senators first game back from the Olympic break is tonight and they will be rested and ready to play. Bobby Ryan is looking to prove he belonged on Team USA’s roster and the Wings’ defense will have their hands full keeping him at bay, but they cannot forget about Karlsson, Spezza, or Turris either.
- The Red Wings have a 17-10-1 overall record against the Senators and sport an above average winning percentage of 65.4%.
- Since 2010, the Red Wings are 4-2-0-0 against the Senators and tonight will be the last meeting between these teams this season.
- Todd Bertuzzi made his return to the line-up in spectacular fashion by scoring a power play goal in the first period for Detroit.
- For some reason, Todd Bertuzzi and Pavel Datsyuk play better when paired together, but Gustav Nyquist saw some time on the top line as well.
- The young gun line of Tomas Tatar, Tomas Jurco, and Riley Sheahan did not miss a beat during the Olympic break and I am not looking forward to their split.
- Having Gustav Nyquist on the fourth line does not make sense, but it is nice to have a skilled player in the chamber to bring out when in overtime or the shootout.
- Jimmy Howard will get a rest tonight in the back-to-back games and we could see more changes throughout the line-up.
Prediction: The Detroit Red Wings will be looking to tie the regular season series and give Alfie another victory against his former team. 2-1 win for Detroit.