The Detroit Red Wings take on the Montreal Canadiens tonight at 7:30 p.m. EST and it is the first game back from the Olympic break for both sides.
The five Red Wings are coming off of a difficult loss in the Gold Medal game, but the coach behind the bench now has two Goal Medals and is chomping at the bit for a second Stanley Cup.
The Canadiens will be a tough team to beat with Gold Medal winner Carey Price between the pipes. It was difficult to best him during the Olympics and he will be coming into this game with a ton of confidence, but he will have a weaker team in front of him.
- The Red Wings have a 230-304-96 overall record against the Canadiens and sport a terrible away wining percentage of 32.2%.
- Since 2010, the Red Wings are 2-1-0-0 against the Canadiens and tonight will be the first time the teams meet up in Montreal.
- Henrik Zetterberg will not play for the rest of the season and will require at least eight weeks to recover from back surgery.
- Stephen Weiss will not be heading to Grand Rapids for a conditioning stint and will miss the next two games for the Detroit Red Wings.
- Johan Franzen has been cleared to play, but the team will be keeping a close eye on him and it is not know whether he will play today or not.
- The Red Wings called up Ryan Sproul to be the seventh defenseman in Montrael, but I doubt he will see much, if any, ice time.
- Jimmy Howard did not see the ice for Team USA, but he was able to take in the games and rest his knee, which is a bit more important for Wings fans.
Prediction: The Detroit Red Wings need to come out of the break and pick up as many points as they can and tonight is the best time to start. 3-1 Red Wings victory.