Good news everyone: all of the teams with Detroit Red Wings players in the 2014 Sochi Olympics are still alive for the gold medal!
Of course much of that is due to the format used in this year’s tournament, which ensured that no one was eliminated after round robin play. It’s kind of like the whole “everyone gets a trophy” thing, except substituting Austria or Norway for “everyone” and “gets a tiny shot at a medal” for “trophy.”
In any case, the Swedish contingent and Jimmy Howard all get two days to rest, while the two Tomases, Tatar and Jurco, and Pavel Datsyuk have to get back to work on Tuesday, having failed to secure a bye out of the first knockout round.
Teams were just slotted into times for the Tuesday and Wednesday games, so here’s when you need to be awake to watch your Red Wings and what channels to watch:
- Wednesday, Feb. 19, 3 am, NBCSN, vs. Slovenia-Austria winner
- Tuesday, Feb. 18, noon, NBCSN or MSNBC, vs. Czech Republic
- Wednesday, Feb. 19, noon, USA, vs. USA (*if Slovakia beats Czech Republic)
Red Wings player: Pavel Datsyuk
- Tuesday, Feb. 18, 7:30 am, USA, vs. Norway
- Wednesday, Feb. 19, 7:30 am, NBCSN, vs. Finland (*if Russia beats Norway)
Red Wings player: Jimmy Howard
- Wednesday, Feb. 19, noon, USA, vs. Czech Republic-Slovakia winner
- Friday, Feb. 21, 7 am, NBCSN – Game 1
- Friday, Feb. 21, noon, NBCSN – Game 2
- Saturday, Feb. 22, 10 am, NBCSN – Bronze Medal Game
- Sunday, Feb. 23, 7 am, NBC – Gold Medal Game