The Detroit Red Wings take on the Florida Panthers in Sunrise tonight 7:30 p.m. EST.
The Red Wings have played well of late in net and on offense, but they will need to tighten up defensively and pick-up some secondary scoring in order to win consistently.
The Panthers are 2-3-0 in their past five games and one of their win came against the Detroit Red Wings. Tim Thomas continues to be a thorn in the Red Wings side in net and I blame it on his distracting cage/throat protector.
- The Red Wings have a 15-5-7 overall record against the Panthers and sport a home wining percentage of 75%.
- Since 2010, the Red Wings are 3-2-0-2 against the Panthers and tonight will be the last meeting of the season between these two teams.
- Jonas Gustavsson left Monday’s game against the Canucks after feeling dizzy between the first and second period and will back-up Howard tonight.
- Jimmy Howard did a great job replacing Gustavsson to earn the win and ha looks to finally be healthy. If I was on the Panthers, I would be worried about playing against Howard right now.
- Jakub Kindl is out due to a lower-body injury and will not play until after the Olympic break.
- Pavel Datsyuk could return tonight if he feels healthy enough after the morning skate. I would prefer him to wait, but if he is comfortable and healthy he should play.
- Gustav Nyquist, Henrik Zetterberg, and Justin Abdelkader are playing fantastic together and combined for seven of the past ten goals for Detroit.
- Patrick Eaves takes a seat tonight, with the return of Pavel Datsyuk. I would have preferred to see Joakim Andersson as the scratch.
Prediction: The Detroit Red Wings have had trouble against the Panthers all season and tonight will not be any different. Panthers win 3-1.