The Detroit Red Wings take on the Vancouver Canucks in Joe Louis Arena tonight 7:30 p.m. EST.
The Red Wings are coming off of a disappointing overtime loss to the Capitals and while there was a reason to be happy with the offense, the defense let the Wings down. The defense needs to be better tonight or the Wings will once again suffer.
The Canucks are 1-4-0 in their past five games and allowed 19 goals in that time frame. John Tortorella makes his return to the bench, which might jump-start the team, so the Wings need to attack early and often to put the Canucks on their heels.
Jakub Kindl – Brian Lashoff
- The Red Wings have a 89-62-18 overall record against the Canucks and sport a home wining percentage of 51.3%.
- Since 2010, the Red Wings are 10-6-0 against the Canucks and today will be the last meeting of the season between these two teams.
- Jimmy Howard had two good games for the Red Wings despite the amount of goals he let up, but should not start in back to back games.
- Jonas Gustavsson was 2-1-1 before Howard returned and will need to be solid again tonight.
- The Brendan Smith – Jakub Kindl pairing is not playing well and they both need to step up their game tonight.
- I expect Gustav Nyquist to continue his hot streak alongside Henrik Zetterberg and Justin Abdelkader.
- Tomas Jurco is due for a big game as well, he has had countless chances over the past few games and it is about time they start finding the back of the net.
- The Red Wings have three wins and four losses in back-to-back games this season.
Prediction: The Red Wings are coming of a tight loss and Vancouver is fresh. Canucks win 3-1.
UPDATE: Brendan Smith is a healthy scratch tonight and Brian Lashoff is back in the line-up.