The Red Wings have struggled on the road and have not scored in their past three road games. The Red Wings need a win to jump back into the wildcard, but the Capitals are fighting for that spot as well.
The first period was a complete reversal to what happened in Detroit on Friday. The Capitals were all over the Red Wings, out working and out skating them, and it led to the Capitals scoring the first goal of the game. After a slashing penalty by Gustav Nyquist, the Capitals scored their second goal of the game off the stick of their second leading goal scorer, Joel Ward.
On the Red Wings first power play of the game they did something they have not done recently, score a goal on the road and score on the power play. Gustav Nyquist cut the lead in half by putting home a rebound off of a Daniel Alfredsson shot.
The first period did not go well for Detroit, but the second period was a better period for the Wings. Tomas Tatar was able to cut the lead to one again for the Wings, but a full nineteen seconds after his goal Joel Ward potted his second goal of the night after he beat Brendan Smith to the rebound.
Thankfully for Detroit, Gustav Nyquist was able to make it a one goal game again by posting up in the backdoor, getting a perfect pass from Henrik Zetterberg, and sliding the puck past Neuvirth. Nyquist wants to go to Sochi.
Forty-two seconds into the third period, Gustav Nyquist tipped a Henrik Zetterberg past Neuvirth for a hat trick. Four minutes later, a defensive zone turnover by Jonathan Ericsson led to an unassisted goal by Troy Brouwer, although Howard probably should have made that save. Less than two minutes after Brouwer’s goal it was the Red Wings turn again, Nyquist pushed the puck forward to Justin Abdelkader and he slipped the puck into the net to tie the game again.
The rest of the third led to chance for both sides, but neither team could beat the other’s goaltender and after three periods we were tied 5 to 5, which meant overtime.
Now to the bullet points:
- The Red Wings finally scored a goal on the road and now Daniel Cleary is not the last Wing to do that anymore.
- Joakim Andersson looks very replaceable on the ice and I would prefer to see Todd Bertuzzi or Daniel Cleary in the line-up instead.
- You could say Jakub Kindl looks replaceable as well, but I would consider him to be more of a liability instead of just replaceable.
- Gustav Nyquist tallied his first NHL hat trick.
- With the way Nyquist has played it would be a sin for Team Sweden not to tap him as Johan Franzen‘s replacement.
- The Brendan Smith interference call was garbage and after all the calls they did not make in regulation they make that one in overtime. Terrible.
The Red Wings take on the Vancouver Canucks on Monday in Detroit at 7:30 p.m.
I hope you guys enjoyed this recap of the Red Wings game against the Capitals. Take care and thanks for reading.