The Detroit Red Wings are in the nation’s capital to take on the Washington Capitals at 12:30 p.m. EST.
The Red Wings dominated the Capitals for most of the game on Friday, but still only barely scraped out a shootout victory. Today, the Wings will need a repeat performance by Jimmy Howard and the offense against the Capitals, but some better play from the defensemen.
The Capitals are 2-2-1 in their past five games and will be looking to rebound after the loss to Detroit. To do that the Capitals will be counting on Ovechkin and Backstrom to make good things happen.
- The Red Wings have a 50-41-16 overall record against the Capitals and sport a wining percentage of 44.2% away from home.
- Since 2010, the Red Wings are 3-4-0 against the Capitals and today will be the last meeting of the season between these two teams.
- Jimmy Howard will be starting today, which means that Jonas Gustavsson will most likely get the call in net tomorrow.
- Howard had a great game against the Capitals on Friday and will be looking to have an even better performance today.
- Henrik Zetterberg‘s return sparked a resurgence by the Red Wings offense against the Capitals and it should continue to carry over as long as he is in the line-up.
- The Capitals clearly targeted Darren Helm and Henrik Zetterberg on Friday and will be a big concern for the Wings heading into today’s game. Might be time to dust off Todd Bertuzzi.
- Daniel Cleary was a healthy scratch against the Capitals and will be once again despite not seeing much from Joakim Andersson on Friday.
- Jakub Kindl received the start over Brian Lashoff and he did not perform well, even strength or on the power play. Hopefully he will play better tonight, but now everyone can see why he is Detroit’s worst defenseman.
Prediction: Zetterberg is playing and Howard looks spectacular in net, which means good things for Detroit. 3-1 victory for Detroit.