The Detroit Red Wings are back in Joe Louis Arena to take on the Washington Capitals tonight at 7:30 p.m. EST.
After two tough losses for the Red Wings, they need a win to get back on track. To do that they need Jimmy Howard to be on top of his game tonight and the young line of Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar to be an asset, not an issue. The defense needs to be better as well because if they allow Ovechkin any room, then he will make the Wings pay.
The Capitals are 2-3-0 in their past five games, but even though they last three games they scored 13 goals in that time period and Alex Ovechkin leads the league. If they have any weak spot it would be in net, Holtby has not been the same goalie since Emery imposed his will on him.
Jakub Kindl – Brendan Smith
- The Red Wings have a 49-41-16 overall record against the Capitals and sport a wining percentage of 48.1% in JLA.
- Since 2010, the Red Wings are 2-4-0 against the Capitals and tonight will be the first of the home and home stand between these teams.
- Jonas Gustavsson went 2-1-1 in his past four games and has played well for Detroit, but Jimmy Howard gets the call in net tonight.
- Another good things for Detroit is that Henrik Zetterberg could return tonight. He will center the Wings’ first line if he does and will cause a line shake up.
- If Zetterberg returns, Daniel Cleary will be the healthy scratch and Joakim Andersson will take his spot on the third line.
- In bad news, Pavel Datsyuk and Johan Franzen are not going to be returning anytime soon.
- Franzen’s concussion symptoms return to the point where he has pulled out of the Olympics.
Prediction: Howard is back and he wants to mark his return with a bang. Howard stands on his head tonight and gets the Wings a 2-1 victory over the Capitals.
UPDATE: Jakub Kindl is in for Brian Lashoff tonight.