The Detroit Red Wings take on the Montreal Canadiens at Joe Louis Arena tonight at 7:30 p.m. EST.
The Red Wings were able to score four goals against the Blackhawks and are looking to keep their goal output up in order pull out of their scoring slump which has caused too many losses this season for Detroit. Just in case that does not happen, Detroit needs a big game from Gustavsson.
The Canadiens are 1-3-1 in their past five games and Carey Price has been brutal in his past 4 games and let at least three goals in during each game, which could spell good things for Detroit. The Wings will have to contain Max Pacioretty (Habs leading goal scorer) and P.K. Subban (reigning Norris Trophy winner) to get the win.
- The Red Wings have a 230-304-96 overall record against the Canadiens and sport a 56 winning percentage on home ice.
- Since 2010, the Red Wings are 2-1-0 against the Canadiens and it will be the team first meeting this season, despite being in the same division.
- Daniel Alfredsson could make his return to the ice tonight for Detroit, who could dearly use his scoring prowess and leadership on the ice.
- With Alfredsson’s return, we could see Tomas Jurco being scratched to create room for him, but I would prefer it if Daniel Cleary or Todd Bertuzzi were scratched instead.
- Darren Helm was forced to lug those boulders around against the Hawks and it was not a very effective line for Detroit.
- With how well Patrick Eaves played yesterday, I think it would be time for Detroit to give him a shot next to Helm and drop Cleary back down to the 4th line if Alfredsson cannot return.
- On defense, Brendan Smith had a good game offensively for Detroit, but the defensive turnover almost cost the Red Wings two points. If he wants Jakub Kindl to continue being the scratch on defense he has to be more responsible.
- Jonas Gustavsson had a decent first game back from injury and will look to build upon his last performance.
Prediction: The Wings are looking to continue their roll tonight and the Habs are in a tail spin. Wings win 3-2.
UPDATE: Todd Bertuzzi might be the healthy scratch tonight.