The Detroit Red Wings take on the St. Louis Blues in Joe Louis Arena tonight at 7:30 p.m. EST.
The Red Wings are coming off a shootout win against the Kings, which should have been a loss, but the refs missed a huge call that worked in the Wings’ favor for once. Jimmy Howard looked dominate in net and the Wings’ top line pulled though, and that needs to happen once again tonight.
The Blues are 2-3-0 in their past fives games, but despite losing their last two games they always seem to play the Red Wings very tough. Alex Steen return from injury for the Blues and the Wings’ defense will be called upon to shut him down early and often
- The Red Wings have a 142-134-37 overall record against the Blues and sport a 57.3 winning percentage at Joe Louis Arena.
- Since 2010, the Red Wings are 12-11-0 against the Blues and tonight will be their first game against them this season; the next game will be the Wing’s season ender in St. Louis.
- Tomas Tatar returned to the line-up and while he didn’t have an immediate impact on the ice, he did score the game winner in the shootout.
- Henrik Zetterberg had two points in their last win and that is a huge boost for a team that needs Zetterberg to be a consistent goal scorer for the foreseeable future.
- Zetterberg’s linemate, Gustav Nyquist, was able to pick up a point as well, which should help him return to his former form. Watch out sophomore slump because Nyquist is not giving up.
- The Wings power play, which had been 0 for 23 attempts heading into the game against the Kings was looking to continue their sub-par performance, but a fluke goal might just jump-start them into playing better.
Prediction: It seems that the puck luck is returning for Detroit and it will continue tonight as the Wings best the Blues 2-1.
UPDATE: Darren Helm returns to the ice tonight!