The Detroit Red Wings cross the country to take on the New York Rangers tonight at 7:00 p.m. EST.
The Red Wings are coming off of a moral victory against the Anaheim Ducks and were able to win two out of the four games on the western road trip. Tonight is their last game away from JLA before the start of their five game home stand and if the Wings want to make it a happy ending it will be on Jimmy Howard‘s shoulders.
The Rangers are 3-1-1 in their last five games and Henrik Lundqvist has been mostly impenetrable in net during that time, which means the Wings will have to find a way to beat him early because if they do not they might never be able to.
- The Red Wings have a 274-221-103 overall record against the Rangers, but only sport a 42.2 winning percentage in Madison Square Garden.
- Since 2010, the Red Wings are 2-2-0 against the Rangers and it includes the loss earlier this season against them at JLA.
- Tomas Tatar will miss tonight’s game because he is in Slovakia attending his father’s funeral. All our love is with you Tatar.
- Since Tatar is out and no one is ready to return from injury, Tomas Jurco was recalled from Grand Rapids and will receive another chance to show his metal with the Wings.
- Jimmy Howard hurt his hip flexor against the Kings, but he will be back in the net tonight. Some fans are rejoicing and some fans who are wrong are upset.
- Petr Mrazek did a great job against Anaheim, but it is Jimmy’s net and if he is healthy enough to play he plays.
- The defense remains the same tonight and Alexey Marchenko was sent down to Grand Rapids.
- Jonathan Ericsson is close to returning, which means the Wings will have to make a decision on defense soon.
Prediction: The Rangers are getting production from every line and the Wings are without their hottest player tonight, but I think Jurco will step up and get the game winner. 2-1 Red Wings.