The Detroit Red Wings took on the Anaheim Ducks after playing the Los Angeles Kings less than 24 hours before hand.
Despite playing a game less than 24 hours earlier, the Detroit Red Wings started of the first in good fashion. The Wings put a lot of pressure on the Ducks and caused penalties because of it, but despite the resurgence of the Wings’ power play, they were not able to capitalize.
The second period was mostly dominated by the Ducks and then things got worse from there for Detroit when the Ducks were able to get a break and put the puck behind Petr Mrazek to take the lead. The Wings had two chances to get a goal on the power play, but it continued not to deliver for Detroit.
The third period was a battle between the Red Wings and Duck with neither able to best the other one’s goaltender or post. In the last-minute of the game, the Wings pulled Mrazek and hoped to score a last second goal, but the puck just did not bounce the Wings’ way.
In the end, it was the Ducks’ second period goal that gave them the 1-0 victory.
Now to the bullet points:
- Happy Birthday to Niklas Kronwall! The great defensive leader turned 33 today and is the oldest defenseman on the Wings’ roster.
- Petr Mrazek received the start in net because it was a back-to-back game and Jimmy Howard is currently nursing a hip injury.
- Mrazek was great for Detroit and kept them in the game all night long and on the goal against there was nothing he could do.
- Brendan Smith had a great game despite allowing a pass go between his legs which led to the Ducks goal. He has matured very well next to Niklas Kronwall.
- The Wings’ special teams were pretty good tonight and despite the fact that the power play was unable to score a goal, they were able put a lot of pressure on Jonas Hiller. (Excludes their 3rd period power play)
- But the crown jewel of Detroit’s special teams has always been the penalty kill and tonight it was more of the same as they killed off four penalties.
- For a back-to-back game the Red Wings played well and it ended up just being another unlucky game for Detroit, which seems to be happening a lot this season.
- It does not help that Daniel Alfredsson, Pavel Datsyuk, Darren Helm, Johan Franzen, Jonathan Ericsson, and Stephen Weiss are all out with injuries either.
- Last thing, can we talk about Daniel Cleary wearing an “A” on his jersey. I mean he is a good dressing room guy and a veteran, but it just looks odd.
The Wings will fly out to NYC to take on the New York Rangers on Thursday night because New York and Anaheim are pretty close together.
I hope you guys enjoyed this recap of the Red Wings game against the Ducks. Take care and thanks for reading.
For the best deals on Detroit Red Wings tickets for all upcoming home or road games, visit TiqIQ.com.