The Detroit Red Wings continue their West Coast road trip tonight against the Los Angeles Kings at 10:30 p.m. EST.
The Red Wings are coming off a devastating loss to the Sharks, which saw Jimmy Howard let in two weak goals. But even if Jimmy Howard had played better in net it would not have mattered because the offense only mustered one goal and were mostly outplayed. Tonight, the offense will have to pepper the Kings’ goaltender with shot after shot and make it uncomfortable in net to win this one.
The Kings are 2-2-1 in their past five games and in that period of time they got blown out by the Blues, but also beat up on the Bruins. The Wings’ defense will have their hands full with Anze Kopitar and Jeff Carter, but they will have to worry about Drew Doughty sneaking down into the zone as well.
- The Red Wings have a 88-85-27 overall record against the Kings, but the Wings have not been good on the road against them and have a measly 43% win rate..
- Since 2010, the Red Wings are 8-7-0 against the Kings; this will be the first of two meetings in the next seven days.
- Pavel Datsyuk and Darren Helm are both out of the line-up again tonight and are not expected back anytime this weekend, but both players have been practicing.
- Riley Sheahan has been recalled from Grand Rapids to take over center duties, which mean Justin Abdelkader will return to his more natural wing position.
- The return of Sheahan, also, means that Mikael Samuelsson will be a healthy scratch once again.
- Tomas Tatar had another great goal, this time against the Sharks, but it was not enough for the Wings.
- Jimmy Howard has been given the start tonight and will be looking to have a bounce back game after suffering a bad loss against the Sharks.
Prediction: Howard will have his bounce back game and lead Detroit to a 2-0 victory against the Kings.