The Detroit Red Wings head to California to take on all three of the California teams, but tonight they take on the San Jose Sharks at 10:30 p.m. EST.
The Red Wings have had four days off to get healthy since their last game and because of that the Red Wings could see to of their hurt players return to the line-up tonight. The Wings returning to the line-up will boost a team that dominated the Stars and give the resurging Jimmy Howard some more support.
The Sharks are 2-3-0 in their past five games and neither Antti Niemi or Alex Stalock have been very good for the Sharks in that time period, but if Red Wing fans know anything it is that his team can make bad goaltenders look good. Up front the Sharks are in better condition with Joe Thornton, Patrick “Gutless” Marleau, and Joe Pavelski; all of whom the Red Wings’ defense will have to keep close eyes on.
- The Red Wings have a 66-42-4 overall record against the Sharks and post an even 50% winning percentage on the road against them.
- Since 2010, the Red Wings are 10-18-0 against the Sharks and it includes the shootout loss to them earlier this season.
- Pavel Datsyuk will not be playing tonight and Babcock stated that he will not return anytime soon.
- Darren Helm is a gametime decision and could return to center the Wings’ second line.
- If Helm cannot go, Mikael Samuelsson will be slotted back into the line-up.
- Danny DeKeyser is back into the line-up tonight after recovering from the groin injury and will take back over for Alexey Marchenko
- Marchenko had a solid first NHL game and could be the next solid Russian defenseman for Detroit.
- Jimmy Howard had a great game against the Maple Leafs at the Big House, expect for the 1st shootout goal against, and hopefully he keeps that level up play up.
Prediction: The Red Wings are going to be playing a tough road trip in California and playing 3 games in 4 days will take its toll on Detroit, but with four previous days off they should be ready to go tonight. 4-2 victory for the Red Wings.
UPDATE: No Darren Helm in the line-up tonight.
Babcock confirms Helm is not playing tonight. DeKeyser in for Marchenko. Who will stay with team for the trip.
— Ansar Khan (@AnsarKhanMLive) January 9, 2014