The Detroit Red Wings head to Texas to take on the Dallas Stars at 8:00 p.m. EST.
The Red Wings are coming off of a disappointing result in the Winter Classic and now find themselves on a difficult Western road swing. It will be a tough battle for the Red Wings, who are without a few star players due to injuries, but the next mad needs to step up and Jimmy Howard needs to take the reins in net. If Detroit gets the lead tonight they will have to find a way to hold onto it unlike the last time against the Stars where they lost the lead twice and then the game in overtime.
The Stars are 3-1-1 in their past five games and they have been able to score goals, unlike the Red Wings recently. On offense Tyler Seguin and Jamie Benn have 6 and 7 points in their last five games respectively. which means the Red Wings defense will have to keep a close on them.
Kyle Quincey – Alexey Marchenko
- The Red Wings have a 123-110-35 overall record against the Stars, but the Wings have not been good on the road against them and only have a 45.5 winning percentage away from home.
- Since 2010, the Red Wings are 8-7-1 against the Stars and tonight will the second game against Dallas this season, the Wings dropped the first game in overtime to Dallas.
- Danny DeKeyser is out for the foreseeable future with a groin injury and it seems that this is the 30th groin injury for the Red Wings this season. At what point does this become an issue the training staff has to deal with.
- Taking DeKeyser’s spot on the ice is Alexey Marchenko, who spent last season in the KHL, is a big defenseman at 6’2″, and is a right-handed shot on the point.
- The Red Wing have tested out Adam Almqvist and Xavier Ouellet in the NHL and tonight it will be Marchenko’s time to show his skill.
- With Marcheko joining the line-up there will most likely be some juggling of the defensive pairs throughout the game to find the right pairings.
- Darren Helm is out with a groin injury and losing him is a gigantic blow to the Wings’ and their 2nd/3rd lines.
- Patrick Eaves might be able to play tonight after getting his jaw realigned. He was cross-checked by Lupul early in the Winter Classic and left the game; the hit earned Lupul a $10,000 fine.
- Jimmy Howard had a great game against the Maple Leafs at the Big House, expect for the 1st shootout goal against, and hopefully he keeps that level up play up.
Prediction: The Wings need a win to recover from the Winter Classic hangover and tonight is a good time to do that. 3-1 Wings victory.