The first period was a rough one for Jimmy Howard, who had just returned from a knee injury to play, and he let in two soft goals. Howard will need to work on his angles and positioning before the Winter Classic on Monday. The period was not all bad for the Red Wings though because Justin Abdelkader scored a beautiful goal and the Wings got out of the period only down by one goal.
Unlike the first period, the second period was not a great one for Detroit. Howard let in another very soft goal, the Wings were constantly out played in both zones, and the puck did not seem to bounce right for them. That asll seemed to change once Justin Abdelkader dropped the mits with Mike Fisher with 2 minutes and 30 seconds left.
Once the puck dropped in the Third the Wings were buzzing and got a quick goal to bring them within a goal of tying up the game, but it never seemed to pan out for the Wings. Whenever the Wings scored, the Predators answered to keep their two goal lead intact.
Now to the bullet points:
- Daniel Alfredsson was a late scratch due to back spasms and Patrick Eaves was slated into the line-up for him.
- Jonas Gustavsson was on tonight as well with a groin injury, which allowed for the return of Jimmy Howard.
- Howard looked very rusty in net against the Predators; he let in three very poor goals that Thomas McCollum could have stopped… ok maybe not McCollum, but you get the point.
- Playing was a big step playing for Howard tonight, though, and it will make him sharper for the Winter Classic.
- On the other side of the rink, Marek Mazanec was not much better, but he made the saves a goalie is supposed to make and that was the difference tonight.
- Kyle Quincey was the best defenseman on the ice for the Red Wings in the 1st period and despite his penalty he actually had a pretty good all-around game tonight.
- Speaking of Quincey, he might be the Wings new 2nd goalie, taking over the position that Brad Stuart vacated, after saving a sure goal from sliding over the line.
- Justin Abdelkader getting into a scuffle was a big boost for the Red Wings and the exact reason that fighting cannot be removed from hockey.
- Todd Bertuzzi will be sipping a beer in slow motion tonight after missing a glorious opportunity set up by Tomas Tatar.
- The Red Wings did not give up tonight and fought until the last second was off of the clock. They will be roaring to go on Wednesday.
This game went back and forth in the third, but the Predators were able to hang on to the lead and get a victory.
I hope you guys enjoyed this recap of the Red Wings game against the Predators. Take care and thanks for reading.