The Detroit Red Wings take on the Calgary Flames tonight at 7:30 p.m. EST in Joe Louis Arena.
The Red Wings are on a six game losing streak and if they cannot get it done tonight, then they will have two seven game losing streaks this season. Whether it is a problem with execution or energy something will have to give or the Red Wings might find themselves out of the playoffs for the first time in 23 years.
The Flames are 2-2-1 and both of their wins came in overtime, an area that the Red Wings have not been good in this season. Former Red Wing, Jiri Hudler, leads the team in points and although he has not been a force of late, the Wings will need to keep an eye on him tonight.
- The Red Wings have a 76-72-16 overall record against the Flames and have a 61.7% winning percentage at Joe Louis Arena.
- Since 2010, the Red Wings are 9-7-0 against the Flames, which includes the 4-3 victory for the Red Wings during their Western Canadian road trip.
- Kyle Quincey hit Ryan Getzlaf from behind on Tuesday and it looked suspension worthy, but the NHL decided not to suspend Quincey and he will be eligible to play tonight.
- Jordin Tootoo has been recalled for Grand Rapids, finally. He will bring energy, hitting, and possibly fighting to the Wings; all things they have sorely missed.
- Speaking of Grand Rapids, Tomas Jurco has played well with Detroit, but I do not believe that he is the right player to be next to Pavel Datsyuk. If Jurco is dropped down to the second or third line it could help create secondary scoring for the Red Wings.
- Taking Jurco’s spot on the top line would be Todd Bertuzzi, Bertuzzi creates a lot of space for Datsyuk on the ice and Datsyuk always seems to play better next to him.
- Drew Miller was dropped down to the 4th line on Tuesday and still found a way to contribute by assisting on Jurco’s goal. Why he was dropped down in favor of Mikael Samuelsson I will never understand.
- Neither Gustavsson or Mrazek received a lot of help from the defense on Tuesday and that will have to change if the Wings want to have any shot at winning tonight.
Prediction: The Red Wings need a win tonight badly and the Flames are a team the Red Wings should beat even without their top players.