This was a rough game for the Detroit Red Wings, they returned from New Jersey last night just to play the Florida Panthers today at Joe Louis Arena.
When a team is playing back to back games it usually shows in the first period, but for the Wings it was their best period of the game. The Wings were able to pressure the Panthers and create good scoring opportunities while limiting the Panthers’ offensive success, which led to Daniel Cleary scoring his first goal in 24 games. But the lead did not last.
When the second period started the Panthers look over. They were pressuring the Wings’ defense into making mistakes and 3 minutes into the second period it led to a goal. It was a very weak goal and the ref should have definitely blown his whistle because the puck was under Gustavsson’s pad, but it counted and the game was tied at one.
In the third it only got worse for the Wings. They continued to get out hustled and out shot, which led to another goal by the Panthers. The defensive positioning by everyone on the ice on the shift where the Panthers scored was atrocious an looked like peewees chasing the puck and left Jonathan Huberdeau wide open to score. Gustavsson did everything he could, but it was not enough to pick up a win.
Now to the bullet points:
- Back to the refs, boy were they bad. Not only should the whistle have blown before the 1st goal against Gustavsson, but Todd Bertuzzi was pushed into Tim Thomas by a Panther and still received a goaltender interference penalty. It was a pitiful night for the refs in Detroit.
- Jonas Gustavsson received the back-to-back start in net tonight and did everything he could to keep the Red Wings in the game, but the one thing he cannot do is score. He made big save for the Wings and the team let him down tonight.
- Gustavsson is now 8-1-1 on the season.
- On the other side of the rink, Tim Thomas had a good game, the Red Wings did not test him much, but when they did he was up for the challenge.
- Jakub Kindl, Kyle Quincey, and Brendan Smith made some awful passes, which led to premium scoring opportunities for the Panthers
- It was not all on the defense though, because the offense was only able to put 5 shots on net in the second and 9 in the third.
- If the Wings cannot put puck on net they will not be able to score and that is what happened.
- Credit the Panthers for taking the Wings off their game and squeaking out a victory, but it was a very poor performance by the Wings.
This game was not a good one for the Wing and they better learn fast because they take on the Panthers again on Tuesday, but this time in Florida.
I hope you guys enjoyed this recap of the Red Wings game against the Senators. Take care and thanks for reading.