The Detroit Red Wings decided to sit Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, and Niklas Kronwall for tonight’s game, while Daniel Alfredsson and Jonathan Ericsson were out with injury. The Pittsburgh Penguins decided to ice their opening day roster.
The Wings started off the game in poor fashion and it did not look like anything was going to go the Red Wings way, but a goal by Drew Miller reinvigorated the team, for a shot while.
Now to the bullet points:
- The Detroit Red Wings defense was not good at all during tonight’s game; poor passes, bad pinches, and dumb decisions hurt the team and put Petr Mrazek out on an island by himself.
- Brendan Smith once again had a poor outing and a bad pinch led to a Penguins goal; Kyle Quincey and Brian Lashoff were not much better.
- The worst play by a defenseman was accomplished by the rookie, Xavier Ouellet, who tried to deke the puck threw the neutral zone, but instead lost it leading to a Kunitz breakaway and goal.
- The defensive play by the Red Wings, as a whole, was very sloppy and they need to work on their decision-making and puck control.
- Petr Mrazek will want a couple of those goals back, he was left on an island for most of the night and had to fend of himself. He made a couple great saves on James Neal and Chris Kunitz and some good saves on other Pens, but there is only so much a goalie can do by himself.
- The best thing about Mrazek is that those goals are in the past and he is not fretting over them, he is looking at making the next big stop to help the team.
- Drew Miller picked up the only goal of the game for the Red Wings on a great hustle play; he dodged a check, raced to the puck barely beating out Marc-Andre Fleury, and the chipped it over him and into the back of the net.
- The AHL line of Tomas Tatar, Joakim Andersson, and Gustav Nyquist was split up rather early in the game. They played well together, but looked over matched by the Malkin line, which led to Nyquist’s demotion to the third line and Daniel Cleary‘s promotion to the second line.
- For the first time this preseason the Red Wings special teams were terrible, the power play could not get anything done and the penalty kill left players wide open. Hopefully this was just a fluke occurrence for the Wings.
- The Red Wings might have been outmatched in terms of talent, but they were outmatched in turns of heart and hustle on the ice as well and that is unacceptable.
- In the last couple minutes of the Third Period, Justin Abdelkader showed off some heart and frustration by having a quick scrap with Robert Bortuzzo.
- After the game Evgeni Malkin went after Mikael Samuelsson because he laid a big, clean check on him in the third.
Tonight’s game was a big disappointment for the Red Wings, they did not hustle and it led to a 1 – 5 loss in Detroit. The Red Wings have two more preseason games to iron out the wrinkles.
I hope you guys enjoyed this recap of the Wings preseason game against the Penguins. Take care and thanks for reading.