The Detroit Red Wings took the Blackhawks into the final seconds, but came up short in the 3 to 4 loss.
The Wings started off the game in poor fashion, but picked up their tempo for the rest of the game.
Now to the bullet points:
- Niklas Kronwall was by far the best defenseman on the ice for the Red Wings during the game and he broke up a great scoring opportunity for the Blackhawks.
- The worst defenseman on the ice was Brendan Smith; he was hesitating on the ice, holding the puck for too long, and giving away puck left and right.
- The worst play by a defenseman was accomplished by Alexei Marchenko; he lost control of the puck and then tried to flip it to his defensive partner, but he did not get enough on the puck and let a Hawk steal it and deke out Howard.
- Jimmy Howard will probably want a couple of saves back. He could not corral a shot from the point and because of that the puck ended up in the back of the net, but did make a great save on a breakaway in the second period though.
- Howard was pulled in the Third Period and Jared Coreau replaced him. He was pulled in part to shake up the team and because the game does not matter very much.
- Coreau used his size well to cut down the angles and made a few quality saves.
- Tomas Tatar might have had his best game so far, he scored two of the Red Wings 3 goals and is showing everyone why he will be a full-time Winger next season with the Wings.
- The rest of the Third line was very good as well, Gustav Nyquist assisted on both of Tatar’s goals, while Andersson did well in the dot and screened Crawford on Ericsson’s goal.
- The Wings were again solid on special teams, which has been the only constant for the Red Wings this preseason. They killed off all three of their penalties and added a power play goal.
- Jared Coreau was pulled with 2:10 left in the game in hope of tying it up and it almost worked for the Red Wings.
- Jonathan Ericsson blasted a puck past Crawford with 53 seconds left to pull the game within one goal, but they were not able to finish the comeback as Zetterberg could not lift the puck over Crawford’s pad.
It was good to see the crowd and Red Wings not give up despite not playing very well and being down 3 goals early in the Third Period. Instead of giving up, they battled back and almost took the game to overtime.
I hope you guys enjoyed this recap of the Wings preseason game against the Blackhawks. Take care and thanks for reading.
Topics: Detroit Red Wings