The Detroit Red Wings started off the preseason in exciting fashion today with a 4-1 victory.
They did not start off the first period in the correct way, but recovered and took it to the Penguins in the second and third periods.
Now to the bullet points:
- Adam Almqvist was a beast on the point tonight, 2 goals, good pinching, and solid defensive play. Could he be a left-handed Brian Rafalski?
- Jimmy Howard was the only thing that kept the Red Wings in the game for most of the third period as the Red Wings had only three shots on net and none in the first 10 minutes of the game.
- Petr Mrazek was in-between the pipes for the third period and was tested early, but held up very well against the Penguins.
- As for the Penguins goaltending, it is nice to see that they are already in post-season form.
- Pavel Datsyuk was Pavel Datsyuk. He changed the angle on his first shot, which put Vokoun off his game. Datsyuk then collected his rebound and put it home.
- Luke Glendining centered Mikael Samuelsson and Daniel Cleary and proved that he can grind with the best of them on the ice, while showing his speed by going around a defender. After another year in Grand Rapids we could see him end up in the NHL.
- As for the Mantha – Jarnkrok – Tootoo line, it did not look good. I am not sure if it was the inexperience of the line or something else, but they were still good defensively.
- Calle Jarnkrok shied away from contact a bit more than I liked, but did lay a few hits of his own.
- Danny DeKeyser proved that he is a legitimate NHL defenseman today by not only being solid in the defensive zone, but also by creating rushes. DeKeyser almost had a breakaway in the game, which forced a Penguin to take a tripping penalty.
- The Red Wings got under Sidney Crosby‘s skin quickly with an Ironhook hit and he took two penalties on the night. The Red Wings made the Penguins pay each time and ended 2 for 5 on power plays.
- As for the penalty kill, it was phenomenal. The Wings were 5 for 5 and kept the Penguins at bay by not letting them get a lot of scoring chances on the power play.
If this is what we are to expect from the Detroit Red Wings this season then it will be a very good year to be a fan.
I hope you guys enjoyed this recap of the Wings preseason game. Take care and thanks for reading.