Chris Chelios, former Red Wing, is likely to call it quits after failing to defend Jamie Benn of the Texas Stars which ended up costing the Chicago Wolves the game and their hope for the Calder Cup. Cheli played in Detroit for 10 seasons and helped them win the Stanley Cup in 2002 and 2008. When asked if he’d be back next year he responded…
I’m 99 percent sure that I think that will end it as a career. I don’t know if it’s the right time to say it, but it has been a great opportunity for me for (27) years. Physically it has caught up. I always said I’d go out when there was nothing left in the tank and I think I’m there.
Here’s a quick rundown of this ironman’s career:
- 7 seasons with the Montreal Canadiens
- 9 seasons with the Chicago Blackhawks
- 10 seasons with the Detroit Red Wings
- 1 season with the Atlanta Thrashers
- A few seasons in the AHL
- Played in 10 All Star games
- Played for Team USA in 4 Olympics
- 2,186 total games played (all leagues)
- 281 total goals (all leagues)
- 1,080 total assists (all leagues)
- 1,360 total points (all leagues)
- +432 lifetime (all leagues)
- 4,062 total penalty minutes (all leagues)
Oh, and the guy is 48 years old!
You had a fantastic career Cheli!